WORLD CLASS MANUFACTURING
• World class manufacturing is a collection of concepts, which set standards for production and manufacturing for another organization to follow
CONCEPT OF WORLD CLASS MANUFACTURING :-
§ Japanese manufacturing is credited with pioneer in concept of world-class manufacturing.
§ World class manufacturing was introducing the automobile, electronic and steel industry.
World class manufacturing is a process driven approach where various techniques and philosophies are used in one combination or other . Some of the techniques are as follows:
• Make to order.
• Streamlined Flow.
• Smaller lot sizes.
• Collection of parts.
• Doing it right first time.
• Total preventive maintenance.
• Quick replacement.
• Zero Defects.
• Just in Time.
WHAT IS WORLD CLASS MANUFACTURING?
• Flexibility and control to satisfy customer on time and every time.
• Reduction of waste in manufacturing system
• Improved manufacturing function
• Managing through people, team for better quality.
• PRINCIPLES OF WCM :-
• There are three main principles, which drive world-class manufacturing.
• Implementation of just in time and lean management leads to reduction in wastage there by reduction in cost.
• Implementation of total quality management leads to reduction of defects and encourages zero tolerance towards defects.
• Implementation of total preventive maintenance leads to any stoppage of production through mechanical failure.
PARAMETERS THAT DEFINE WCM
• Cost effective.
9 STEPS IN WCM STRATEGY PLANNING PHASE:
l STEP 1-EXAMINES STRATEGIC POSITION WITH RESPECT TO INDUSTRY
l STEP 2 – SETTING UP PLANNING TEAM
l STEP 3 – ASSESSMENT OF MANUFACTURING CAPABILITIES IN TERMS OF PROCESSES AND RESOURCE CAPABILITIES
l STEP 4 – ASSESSING CAPABILITY OF COMPETITION
l STEP 5 – CREATING FUTURE PATH WHAT CAPABILITIES TECHNOLOGIES REQUIRED
l STEP 6 – SETTING MFG OBJECTIVES AND STRATEGY
l STEP 7 – DEVELOPING AN ACHIEVEMENT PLAN
l STEP 8 – GAINING TOP MGT COMMITMENT
l STEP 9 – CREATING IMPLEMENTATION PROGRAM
DESIRED OUTCOMES OF WORLD CLASS MANUFACTURING:
l Minimized inventories
l Minimized expenditure
l Maximized asset utilization
l Maximized throughput
l Maximized quality of products processes and services
l Minimized process and manufacturing wastes
l Minimized cycle time of processes
l Continual improvements in short term and long term metrics