Related to my previous article on types of demands, now I’ll be explaining the different types of marketing orientations. Marketing orientations are important in helping to position a product. There are 6 types of marketing orientations, which are as follows:
1. Product Orientation: The organization focuses on making the product to be the best in quality, performance & innovative features. The organization thinks that making such a great product will automatically attract the customers to buy the product. E.g. Apple I-Phones= Believes in making the best product!
2. Selling Orientation: In this orientation, the seller gets into the mindset of the customer & convinces him/her to buy the product, even though the customer never thought of buying the product in the first place. E.g. Aquaguard, Insurance agents
3. Marketing Orientation: In this orientation, it’s focused on how to market the product. Being efficient & effective is the core of marketing orientation. E.g. Times of India- Efficient & effective newspaper
4. Social Marketing Orientation: Society should be satisfied with the product that is being offered. Focuses on benefiting the society E.g. Educational institutions like TIFR, TISS etc.
5. Production Orientation: In this orientation, products are produced in an excessive amount & also at a reasonable price. Hence, they flood the market & customers buy the product. E.g. Coca-Cola
6. Customer Orientation: This orientation is solely based on the customer’s preferences. Companies believe that making a product according to the customer’s preferences would help in selling of the product. E.g. Zomato (Mobile App)= App to find the restaurants in your city.
By Kirk Coutinho