In today's digital world, efficient branding is a necessity for all industries. For small businesses, branding has remarkable impact on how the company or business is received and performs at large. Getting things done in small businesses can seem like fighting a losing battle at times, with only so many hours in the day, especially of you are bootstrapping it. Ignore a small detail and the consequences can be severe. Small business need to watch out and avoid branding mistakes at all costs-crucial to ensure that a brad is being built towards a great role.
- No distinctive element in your brand : The first mistake of marketing is not having a unique brand element- a brand's unique design, logo, symbol, words, or combination of these components employed in creating an image that identifies a product and differentiates it from competitors. It suggests a particular emotion, assures reliability, and serves as the first thought to the clientele. We know how important a first impression can be in life and one cannot afford to miss this opportunity to make a statement.
- Not listening to your target audience : The audience is one of the biggest elements in the brand development process. Their feedback at regular intervals can help in understanding the perception of a business/brand in the market and how that compares to the way the organization likes to be seen. Invest in constantly gaining insights on what people have to say, and work towards modifying it to ensure the brand keeps evolving.
- Inconsistent messaging : If your brand's identity is not consistent across every channel, it may cause a dent in the reliability quotient. Once you have rolled out your branding, you need to apply it consistently and regulate how others are using it, A great way to manage this is by having a brand strategy that informs everyone in your organisation about the application of the brand identity. Once you have collectively implemented the brand messaging, invest in getting the word out there.
- Ignoring social media : Social media is increasingly becoming a power house for brands to build credibility and evangelism. If you are using social media, you are losing out on a huge percentage of potential consumers and in communicating your bran messaging to them. Facebook and Twitter are the new battlegrounds fr managing the reputation of your brand. It is important to invest enough time in building a brand on social media as well as protecting its reputation on it.
- Being forceful : Making everything too apparent or dynamic and having customers believe that the company is desperate is really not a good idea. Change the brand strategy if required, constantly innovating on branding and refreshing the identity can work wonders for any brand.
- Not knowing competitors : Your competition is any brand in your industry or otherwise which grabs the attention of your audience. Knowing and analyzing what the competition or industry is doing or their approaches towards marketing can be a great learning factor in order to modify and improvise on your brand strategy. The key to success for a small businesses is in how well its brands itself and if the people involved are able to stand by what they believe in as an organisation. When your consumers believe in the same principles you set out , they will be your brand evangelists. taking your brand ahead by leaps and bounds.