Ingredients of creativity
- Divergent thinking : This thinking allows many new ideas to be generated. It is measured using the a method known as Alternate Uses Task method where participants are required to think up as many uses as possible for a particular object, such as a pen.
- Convergent thinking : This thinking, is a process whereby one possible solution for a particular probem is generated. This is measured using the Remote Associates Task method. The words could be three unrelated words are presented to the participants An example is the 'time', 'hair' and 'stretch' where the particpants identify the common link: in this case, 'long'.
- In Open Monitoring,the individual is receptive to all the thoughts and sensations experienced without focusing attention on any particular concept or object.
- In Focused Attention, the individual focuses on a particular thought or object.
Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.
- Lorenza S. Colzato, Ayca Ozturk, Bernhard Hommel. Meditate to Create: The Impact of Focused-Attention and Open-Monitoring Training on Convergent and Divergent Thinking. Frontiers in Psychology, 2012; 3 DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00116